Who are we?
Formed in 1999, Vetspecs is the South Island's only Small Animal Surgical Specialist Veterinary Centre. Our building is shared with the Afterhours Clinic and because of this the Vetspecs patients can stay on site and their care will be maintained by the Afterhours staff overnight. We provide advanced specialist skills, expertise and equipment enabling us to give the best possible care for our clients and their pets. Our ethos is one of true compassion from a supportive team that really cares.
Specialist SurgeryVetspecs has two registered veterinary specialists: Dr Brent Higgins and Dr Michael Nawrocki.
Surgical services available at Vetspecs include:
- Lameness diagnoses and treatments
- Arthroscopy, with access to MRI and CT imaging
- Cruciate ligament surgery - Tibial Plateau Levelling Osteotomy (TPLO)/ Tibial Tuberosity Advancement (TTA)
- Juvenile Pubic Symphysiodesis
- Fracture and dislocation fixations
- Angular limb deformity correction
- OCD and dysplasia diagnosis and treatments
- Advanced imaging: access to MRI and CT
- Spinal decompression
- Spinal tumour removal
- Stabilisation of spinal fractures
- Ear, nose and throat surgeries
- Airway surgery
- Cardiothoracic and cardiovascular surgeries
- Gastrointestinal, hepatobiliary and portosystemic shunt surgeries
- Genitourinary surgeries
- Skin, oncological and reconstructive surgeries
- Endoscopy, rhinoscopy and bronchoscopy
- PennHip assessment
Nursing and Support Team
NZISVS MissionThis partnership of New Zealand's most highly trained veterinary surgeons provides an organisation for advancement of, and excellence in, small animal surgery.
We promote significant research and surgical innovation through collaboration of specialists using new and established national and international relationships.
Through the discussion of new ideas and critical support of its members, we endeavour to advance the health, welfare and wellbeing of all animals.
Through communication and sharing of expertise and resources within the group, we seek to provide animal owners in New Zealand access to the very best veterinary care in the world.